Monday, February 11, 2013

A New Year



Then God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years."
--Genesis 1:14  (NKJV)

From the daily Bible reading on January 1, 2013 of Psalm 1; Matthew 1; Genesis 1-2.

It has been quite a while since I last posted to this blog.  The demands of life and trying to do too many things at once have kept me away.  Since I last posted I have retired from the full-time workforce to give more of myself to Jesus and pursue the ministry with greater vigor.  I have applied with two churches and have given trial sermons and done interviews at each.  I know God has something good in store for me although I don't know exactly what that might be.  So I keep on the path He showed me and await His continued wonders in my life, trying to follow the personal instruction He gave me to, preach His word.  I have full confidence, trust, and faith in our Lord.

I want to revive this little devotional blog, as much as possible, and will post to it as time permits.  Sometimes I will post thoughts from my daily Bible reading.  Other times, just as scripture is laid on my heart.  We'll see how it goes.  The first series of posts will be for January of 2013, covering my daily readings and thoughts that are not included in "The Power of His Word" (http://tpohw.blogspot.com).  So let's begin in the beginning, with Genesis 1:14.

God gives us each new year, a fresh beginning, another chance to grow in our relationship with Him.  It is interesting that, at least in the northern hemisphere where I live, the new year begins just before the coldest, the harshest weather of the seasons.  But once we get through that period, and are strengthened by it, we come to Spring, the earth's renewal, and the celebration of Christ's death and resurrection.  In a way, Spring is our reward for surviving winter.  What wondrous rewards await us for our faith and belief in Christ while surviving the winter of this mortal world!

Gracious Creator, thank You for giving us a fresh start every time we fail.  Thank You for giving us another chance when we displease You.  Thank You for offering us a rich reward if we only maintain our faith and our belief in Your one true Son.  In Jesus' name we pray.  Amen.

No comments: